Thursday, April 03, 2008

Not for the Faint of Heart

Over Easter, I opened up one of my uncle's photo albums and suddenly, shockingly, found myself staring at a dead woman. He had taken photographs of his aunt's body at her funeral. Like Nicole Kidman in The Others, I thought this was incredibly eerie and odd.

In that vein, I think I understood how he felt about those photographs when I found this exhibition. It's a collection of photographs of terminally ill people just before and after they died. Worst/best of all, the captions come from interviews with them about their impending deaths. It's difficult to look at, but if you're in an appropriately somber mood, you might find it...cathartic, almost. I don't know; I cried.

Just be careful. Don't look if you don't think you can. I think it's an important and beautiful work of art.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home