Thursday, September 14, 2006

Synagogues and Street Corners

Since when did the honors floor become the right-wing fundamentalist Christian floor? Blech. Seriously, I came here because I thought this place would be full of little geeky kids (I certainly didn't come for the four flights of stairs). Instead I get deeply religious Christian people who are freaking out about the abortion referendum and deal with it by posting pictures of bloody fetuses on their doors.

It would be one thing if they were religious. That wouldn't be a problem. But they're So Damned Vocal. One girl posts the "Bible Verse of the Day" on her door. I don't want to see that. I'm Catholic, for god's sake, and I still don't want to see that. A "verse of the day" is fine, but it belongs in an e-mail, not on a public thoroughfare. I like Jesus. I do. We're buds. But damn, I don't want to see and talk about all my friends all the time. There's a poster up on the schedule wall that says "Ashamed to be a Christian on Campus?" There's not a damned Christian who's ashamed to be one here. Except possibly me, and that's because I didn't realize that it was a requirement of the faith to be sanctimonious, morbidly conservative, and unable to ever shut up about Jesus.

Don't get me wrong. Jesus is fine, Christianity is fine, conservativism is fine. Just shut up about it once in awhile. I was always raised to believe that faith is a private matter; it belongs only where people want to hear about it. It's too deeply divisive to be screamed from the walls as somebody trudges to the bathroom. If I want to hear about it, believe me, I'll ask. Until then, I personally think that it's a matter of your heart, not your lungs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Bible Verses would be a really odd quirk to deal with, but I could manage. The fetus pictures though.. I might feel a strong obligation to replace them with picture of Neil Diamond in the wee hours of the morning.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home