Thursday, September 07, 2006

La Cucaracha en Mis Calcetines

This is what I love about textbook publishers: I pay $130 for a Spanish book, and then get confused when I try to do my homework and the workbook directs me to a CD-ROM that I don't have. I check the textbook, and it, too, claims that I received a CD in the package. I make a frenzied search through my desk and bags only to conclude that I, The Eternal Scatterbrain, must have thrown the CD out with the packaging. I go to the book's website and find that the layout is damn near incomprehensible, especially when I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for. So I e-mail my instructor, and she tells me that she'll find one for me. Later that day (but I don't check the e-mail for two more days, which leads to more absentminded worry), she e-mails me and tells me that she's talked to other instructors, and the situation is this:

It's a new edition. There is no CD-ROM. It's all on the website.

They charge me a hundred and freaking thirty dollars for this book, and they can't even bother to change the instructions in the workbook or the print on the back cover that says that part of my $130 goes toward a fancy-schmancy CD-ROM.

For this, I knee Vista Higher Learning Publishing in the collective testicles.

(Okay, I'm not actually that worked up about it. But I needed something to post other than, "My Spanish textbook is stupid.")