Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Today was uneventful in the extreme.

Tonight, however? Tonight I depart for Chicago. Tonight I board a Greyhound bus with forty-two other bleary-eyed high school students. Tonight I prepare myself to spend quality time with my friends' and not-friends' chaperoning parents and my 22-year-old band instructor. Tonight, we embark on The Band Trip.

At approximately 11:59 p.m., I will hop aboard a bus, suitcase and carry-on in tow, and I will make my mark on that venerable institution of a high school career in band geekitude. I will stick my timpani mallets in my jacket pocket, I will tuck my pitchpipe in the kangaroo pouch of my red-hooded sweatshirt, I will plaster a pair of headphones to my ears, and I will stare dully out a window for sixteen hours. Joy of joys.

From Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning, I shall wreak havoc on the Windy City. It will feel my wrath. I will tour its museums, I will take its ferry rides, I will pretend to jump off its highest buildings. I will spy on its residents, and I will flip off the ones that bug me. (I will probably get myself shot.) I will take photos of my band director looking confused in Chicago's restaurants. I will catalog my walks along its lakeshore streets. My teenage apathy shall know no bounds, and Illinois shall be my target.

This trip will either be really interesting, or it will be the longest four days of my life. Considering the fact that my only company will be my fellow band geeks, I'm guessing it'll be closer to the latter. Take care; I'll see you Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home