Sunday, January 18, 2004

Before I forget, I might as well admit that I woke up this afternoon with a tune running through my head. It was kind of a nursery rhyme melody, a simple, lilting thing that I've never heard before. Maybe I dreamed it into being. Anyway, the first thing I did when I got up was to write lyrics for it. Somehow, the poem ended up being about my hatred of Paul McCartney. It's called "Paul Sucks."

It's a strange little ditty. The rhyme scheme is aabb, except in a repeating section (I guess it's a chorus), which is aaaaab. There are four types of stanzas, in which the syllabic schemes are 9-9-12-14, 7-7, 2-2-12-12-3, and 4. It's a complicated bit of verse. It's fifteen stanzas long, so I'm not going to post the whole thing here, but I will include my favorite stanza for you (it assumes that "The Fool on the Hill" is principally a McCartney creation--I don't know that for sure):

Perhaps I'm being overly cruel;
On second thought, consider the fool
Who had "eyes in his head" so the world he could see--
Well, goddamnit, McCartney, where the fuck else would they be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home