Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Why does my Spanish teacher, Mrs. Crane, always think I'm something I'm not?

She wished me luck for the oral interp meet last week. I'm not in oral interp. I haven't done any of that stuff since the eighth grade. She's only been employed at the school for three months; why would she think that? I'm baffled.

That woman is also guilty of telling me, "Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot you were a vegetarian." Um, no. I'm not a vegetarian...never have been. I like meat. (I've heard that one before though; for some reason, if you're liberal in this town, half the community thinks you're a vegetarian. I've had seven people ask about it in the last six months or so.)

At parent-teacher conferences, my father mentioned that I was friends with Jessie. Mrs. Crane was absolutely shocked. Granted, it is an odd pairing, but still.

We did a mock fashion show for the second graders today. We wore goofy costumes and told the kids the names of the various clothing articles in Spanish. When we had the vote on it a fortnight ago, I voted against it. Mrs. Crane's response was to accost me in the lunchroom later on: "Why don't you want to do it? I knew you were quiet, but I thought you'd like this! I didn't know you were so shy!" Nope, not quite. I'm not a theatrical person; I don't like being looked at.

The last thing she accused of me this week was of being a picky eater. Ok, that one I'll admit to. Really, though, I prefer to think of it as being a food purist. We made a bunch of Mexican dishes for lunch today. I'm not big on beef, so I skipped the tacos and taco salads. (This is what prompted the vegetarian apology.) When I picked out some tortilla chips, everyone was shocked that I ate them plain. "Why don't you have salsa or cheese or something?" Truth be told, I don't like to mix foods. I make exceptions for pizza, cheeseburgers, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches; otherwise, I'd prefer the components separate. I know, I know. I'm kind of high-maintenance about food (believe me, I feel bad).

Maybe I should just start meeting people's expectations and crap. Hey, everybody, let's all conform like crazy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home