Tuesday, July 17, 2007

They Don't See You Like I Do

So Sid (the rat) is sick. He had an upper respiratory infection the week before last, and he got off the meds for that last weekend. Now, though, he's got new problems. He has what appears to be SDA, which isn't fatal alone, but severely compromises his immune system. His respiratory infection seems to be back in full force, which could kill him. I've put him back on his antibiotics in accordance with the vet's advice. The biggest problem is his loss of appetite; rather than eating lab blocks like I insist, Sid has put himself in charge of his own diet. He only eats things that he deems worth the effort, so he's been feasting on grapes, yogurt, cooked pasta, peanut butter, and shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds. I worry about him, as I know this is a terrible diet for a rat, but at this point, I'm willing to let him have whatever he decides he's willing to eat. In the past couple of days, he has ignored his water bottle and only drinks out of a spoon or off my finger. He insists on being out of his cage whenever I'm in the house, begging and clattering at his cage door as soon as I arrive home, so I cook, clean, and eat with Sid on the couch/bed/floor. Bob is wholly dissatisfied by this arrangement, and we have discovered that Bob is either terrified of Sid or terrified of what I would do if he threatened Sid. Bob will hop up on the couch to cuddle me, Sid will dart out from under the blanket and nudge Bob's paw, and Bob will leap sideways off the sofa and run away.

I know that's boring, but it's what I'm thinking about lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home