Monday, December 01, 2003

On one of the blogs I read, the author was bemoaning the fact that there are no songs with her name in them.

I'll be quick to point out that in the Elvis Costello song "Alison," (yeah, the spelling is different) Alison is stupid and sleeping around. Somehow VH1 put it as 99th in its 100 Best Love Songs countdown. Considering that it seems to be about how much he wants to kill her, I don't really get their reasoning.

Sample lyrics:
"Sometimes I wish that I could stop you from talking
When I hear the silly things that you say
I think somebody better put out the big light
'Cause I can't stand to see you this way
Alison, I know this world is killing you
Oh, Alison, my aim is true." (copyright Elvis Costello and all that)

I'd also like to emphasize that Cal will never live down her song. It's called "Calla Calla" and includes the line "It's the day of mating/Time for celebrating!". I know Vic Damone did a version of it; I'm not sure what its definite origins are.

And so, my friends, do not despair if you do not have a song with your name in it. Sometimes it's worse having one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home