Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Bleargh

I've been fiendishly sick for the last few days--sore throat, achy arms and legs, swollen lymph nodes, godawful back pain, low-grade fever, chills, lightheadedness, dizziness, loss of appetite, persistent headache, and crazy crazy fatigue. It's a fun time, let me assure you. I'm now on Day 5 of what I assume is a terrible flu, and the prognosis for the future doesn't look good.

Also not good are my chances of being able to call in sick to Corporate Pizza Joint. I called in sick yesterday, but I'm trying to ibuprofen my fever and aches into submission so that I can be there in the days to come. We're hard up for employees right now, and those that we still have are dropping like flies in the long hours and busy shifts that come with being severely understaffed. I can't really blame those who quit; it's not exactly fun to work twice as hard for roughly the same pay. Even as a tipped employee, it's difficult to make any extra money if you're trying to work a full dining room by yourself, unable to converse with guests because you're running your achy butt off serving drinks and appetizers, desperately calling out for pizzas that don't exist because the sole cook is swamped by the dozen orders before yours.

Want me to lick you?

1 Comments:

Blogger Gwyn said...

Eep! No licks, please. I really feel for you. Those sort of work situations are the worst.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home